[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Rebinding<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=1" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Rebinding

This is the Forum for the art of Bookbinding, post your questions and answers about bookbinding here.

Moderator: denis

Rebinding

Postby MoritzGrimm on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 pm

I have never done bookbinding before, but am a very avid reader, and since last year my books have started falling apart (they have often been lent out to friends and family), and I was wondering if it would be possible to rebind them in leather, because I have always had a passion for leather books, however, they are originally paperbacks (the books I am looking to rebind, if anybody is interested is the entire Wheel of Time series, the Sword of Truth series and a collection of theological essays by Friedrich Nietzsche). If somebody could suggest a method and the tools required to do this it would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking to, once they are all bound, to experiment with gilding the titles, however I am not sure how to do that either or the rough cost associated with it.

Thank you for having time to read this,
Moritz Grimm
MoritzGrimm

Re: Rebinding

Postby bookbum on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Moritz,

It is definitely possible to rebind paperbacks in leather bindings but I'm afraid the remainder of your question about the methods and tools needed would take a book to explain. There are lots of tutorial on line to show you how and to show you what tools you'll need. Often, if you're handy, you can make a lot of the tools yourself as they can be quite expensive on line.

I'm sorry I can't explain more of the methodology here but it really would take a whole book to do.
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Postby MoritzGrimm on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:57 pm

ok, thank you :D could you maybe direct me to some valuable guides on this?
MoritzGrimm

Postby edenworkshops on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:56 am

Yes, the subject of bindng in leather would take a whole book to explain.

There are more books available now on bookbinding than ever before, I am rather out of touch with modern publications. I found the Thames & Hudson Manual of Bookbinding to be comprehensive and quite easy to follow.

Or you could consider getting a DVD tutorial, there are very good ones around.

Not wishing to blow our own trumpet too much, we do supply a DVD by Nick Cowlishaw called Leather Binding which has had good reviews.

Or better still any chance of enrolling on an evening class, now that is a good way to learn.

Good luck.

Richard

edenworkshops

Postby bookbum on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:41 pm

There are also lots of weekend classes around. In what part of ghe world do you live?
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Return to Bookbinding