[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Looking for classes or workshops<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Wanted" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=11" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Looking for classes or workshops

Looking for supplies, lessons, etc...? This is the forum for it!

Looking for classes or workshops

Postby Miss Lauren on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Hello,
I have just joined this forum, and this is my first post. I live between Rochester and Buffalo NY, and have recently become very interested in bookbinding. I have read several books and have acquired an assortment of equipment, so now I am looking for someone that can show me hands on how to do this!! I am mainly interested in re-binding old, worn out books, personal Bibles... Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Miss Lauren
Miss Lauren

Re: Looking for classes or workshops

Postby finleybull on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Do you have stacks of paper that you neither want to throw nor do you know what to do with? You can bind all those sheets into a book and use it to jot down things to remember, make shopping lists, or even use it as a personal diary. All you need to know are some book binding procedures. Those beautifully bound books and diaries on the shop racks may make you wonder if you could bind a book at home. But believe me book binding processes are not that difficult. Yes, the book you bind at home may not have the same the finish as the custom book binding procedures. Nevertheless, with a little time and creativity you can put those extra stacks of sheet to good use. Let's see how.

Book Binding Procedures--------

Book Binding Technique 1

Materials Required
Sheets of paper (depending upon the size of the book)
Piece of cardboard
Wallpaper, contact paper, felt or cotton fabric
Paper cutter
A pair of scissors
White glue or wallpaper paste
Needle with a large eye
Twine, carpet thread, crochet thread or quilting thread.
Procedure

For the Book-----

Determine the size of the book that you require. Fold the sheets midway. If you want a book of 5 1/2″ x 9″ dimensions use sheets of paper having dimensions of 11″ x 18″ as folding them midway will give you pages of the desired size. Each side of a folded sheet of paper will give four pages. Hence divide the number of pages you want to have for your book by 4. Use one sheet extra than the number that you get. This extra sheet will serve as the first and the last page onto which the cover will be pasted.

Place all the sheets on top of each other. Fold them midway. Clip all the four edges to hold the sheets in place. You can also clip the center of the fold. Beginning ½ '' from the top of the fold, start marking for holes at regular intervals. Make holes with the needles and sew the book along the holes.

For the Cover------

Cut two cardboard pieces in the shape of the book. These pieces could be the same size or a little larger than the book's dimensions. Place the two pieces on the felt, cloth or the material you are using to cover the cardboard pieces such that there is a gap of 1/8″ to 1/4″ between them. Draw the outline of the cardboard pieces on the material with a pencil. Remove the cardboard pieces. Now cut the material one inch around the entire outside of the pencil mark.

Apply glue to the cardboard pieces and place them along the pencil mark. Apply glue to the one inch of extra material along the border of the cardboard pieces. Fold in the four corners so that the tip of the corners of the material lies on the diagonal of the cardboard piece. Now fold in the material along the sides of the cardboard. Let the cover dry.

Apply glue to the outer sides of the first and the last page of the book. Place the book carefully along the center of the two cardboard pieces and smooth down. Close the book and place some weight over it. Leave it to dry for a few days.

Please try this

By
Finley Bull

finleybull

Re: Looking for classes or workshops

Postby Miss Lauren on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your advice, and I apologize for taking so long to post this. I didn't have the stacks of paper you mentioned, but I did have a little (5 1/2" x 4") paper-back book that the cover had all but been torn off of. So,I decided to tackle that. The main "problem" I had was that the paper tube for the spine turned out too wide. I'm not sure what I did wrong, since I thought( :D ) I followed the directions I had read in several places. I also learned the importance of a good razor blade. When I went to cut the binder's board for the cover, the blade wasn't held in the knife well enough, so it wiggled and cut my board all crooked... I have yet to attach the cover, but it will be made of black book cloth.
When it is attached, I will post again.
Thanks,
Miss Lauren
Miss Lauren

Return to Wanted