[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Marbling in New Hampshire<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Events and Meetings" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=7" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Topic Marbling in New Hampshire" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=7&t=168" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Marbling in New Hampshire

Post your Bookbinding related events, meetings, exhibitions, talks, courses here.

Postby babdu on Sat May 24, 2008 3:37 am

The New Hampshire Institute of Art will host workshops with Marbling guru Galen Berry again this year.
Saturday June 21 and/or Sunday June 22
New Hampshire Institute of Art, Manchester NH
All materials supplied (just bring an old towel and notebook)

Go to this site: http://nhia.edu/continuing_education.php
Then select:
• CE Summer Course Schedule 2008
To get the catalog with the course description and registration information.

If you have some experience with marbling you may choose to take day 2 only. If you are a beginner you can take day 1 only or enhance the experience and take both days.

Everyone will go home with beautifully marbled papers to use in many projects. Treat yourself to a weekend of art!
Best regards
Bette Abdu
babdu

Postby kittenbot on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm

If anyone has a chance to attend this class - DO IT! It is beyond worth the price of admission! I've taken a weekend course from Gaylen Berry and it was one of the best creative experiences of my life :D
kittenbot

Postby babdu on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:29 am

Thanks for the endorsement -- Galen's classes are a joy

There are still a couple of seats left for these workshops with Galen Berry. If you attend please introduce yourself to me as a member of this forum -- always fun to meet an internet friend in person
go to http://nhia.edu/continuing_education.php to get the details on these workshops Sat/Sun June 21-22
Best regards
Bette Abdu
babdu

How do you make white new paper look old?

Postby Roger on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:55 pm

What is the best way to make new paper look old. I have several pages of a book published in 1814 and want the
pages to match the original (foxed) as much as possible.
Roger

Postby alexissoyer on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 am

Roger. The best way I have come across and use is to put two teabags in a bowl, pour hot water over them and let stand for one hour. Then get one teabag and using like a brush brush the paper, once you have done that use the other bag as a finishing one. Then either put the paper in a microwave or oven to dry. If it is not dark enough do it again with same teabags, it you want an affect of bits on the paper allow one of the teabags to break spilling its leafs on the paper then stroke off with the other teabag. If you want a really grubby endpaper (circa 16/17th) I substitute cheap coffee instead of the hot water.

Frank
alexissoyer

Roger on Making new paper look old.

Postby Roger on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Frank, thanks for the information. I'll try it.
One book binder told me that coffee and tea are acidic
and can affect the surrounding original papers. I'm
going to use back-to-back copies and insert them
into the book where the missing pages are. I wonder
if I could put some coating over the paper after
staining it. Have you heard of using dies (like stains).
Thanks, Roger
Roger

Postby alexissoyer on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:57 am

Roger. I have been using this method and have noticed no effect on any book (oldest 1789) books I have done. Perhaps in time there will be evidence. As you would expect most bookbinders have a collection pf pages which they have collected over a period of time - i have known these to even buy old worthless books at auctions and carboots just to salvage a few pages. I have never come across your idea of some sort of protective coating. To me the very nature would be detrimental to a page breathing. The method you want to undertake I have used layaway or lens paper, in case I come across the missing page at a later stage I can then attach the page to the lens paper or layaway paper.

Regards

Frank
alexissoyer

Postby Roger on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Frank,
Very interesting. I'm still in the experiemental stage, but I was wonder if low Ph hair die (just for men light brown) would
work. Thanks, Roger
Roger

Matching the look of old paper

Postby Jerome on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:48 am

I scanned a page from the book (1883) I was working on, opened it in Photoshop, erased the printing and saved it as a .jpg. I inserted the scanned jpg into a Word document and matched the size of the original page plus a little for trim. It took a few trials to get the contrast/brightness right. I then printed four page signatures to fill in missing pages.

Luckily, the book I am working on is available online in PDF, so I was able to re-print the missing title page and table of contents pages so it roughly matches the original. I am not trying to fool anyone, just restore the text and not be jarring.

There is also a missing blank page in the last signature, but the online edition does not match the edition I have at the end of the book. So, I will have to scan the extant copy and reprint on a new 4 page sheet to mend the last signature. I have confidence that the paper and laser printer inks I use will last until the next binder gets a chance to work on it.

There are photos of the work in progress here:
Jerome

Roger on antique paper

Postby Roger on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi,
I tried using brown hair color on white paper, and it turned gray, then DARK gray. I have a book with
gray paper (1814), so that might help with that. The idea of scanning and erasing is interesting.
Roger
Roger

Re: Marbling in New Hampshire

Postby nationwide on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 am

The best way I have come across and use is to put two teabags in a dish, add hot water over them and let take a position for one time. Then get one teabag and using like a clean brush the papers, once you have done that use the other bag as a completing one. Then either put the papers in a microwave range or range to dry. If it is not black enough do it again with same teabags
nationwide

Return to Events and Meetings