ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Great Training!

Post your Bookbinding related events, meetings, exhibitions, talks, courses here.

Great Training!

Postby kitekook on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:28 am

I've taken some course from a bindery in Winchester, Va (Cat Tail Run Hand Bookbinding) and wanted to pass on the information to whomever might be interested. I found them extremely informative and useful.

Jill Deiss, is the founder of Cat Tail Run Hand Bookbinding. She studied bookbinding and restoration first in Northampton, Massachusetts, then at Cornell University's Department of Library Conservation, and in the Smithsonian Institution's Conservation Laboratories. Mrs. Deiss holds a B.S. in Chemistry and received a Master of Library Science degree from Syracuse University where she specialized in the study of archives and rare book collections.

Jill and her staff offer great classes aimed at the book dealer, collector and anyone else who might be interested in the craft of bookbinding.

Please check out their site at http://www.cattailrun.com/

I hope you get the chance to enjoy the experience as much as I did.

Dan
Dan
Bookbums Bindery
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
kitekook

Re: Great Training!

Postby bookbum on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm a little confused.

I referred to Cattail Run Bindery. It is their training program, not mine, so I can't help you with that.

I don't teach at my own bindery.
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Postby admin on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 am

Hi Dan, the idiot was a spammer, don't pay attention to it. As soon as I catch these fools, I pulverize them....
Denis
admin
Site Admin

Postby bookbum on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:40 pm

If you need assistance, Denis, let me know, please.
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Postby Miss Lauren on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:17 am

Hi Folks :) .... just wanted to second Dan's original post. I've taken several of the workshops myself and plan to take as many more as I can! Can't recommend them highly enough. Jill and her staff are tremendous and great teachers. (and Jill has become my bookbinding mentor that I'm very thankful for, so...)
Paying it forward,
Lauren

kitekook wrote:I've taken some course from a bindery in Winchester, Va (Cat Tail Run Hand Bookbinding) and wanted to pass on the information to whomever might be interested. I found them extremely informative and useful.
Jill Deiss, is the founder of Cat Tail Run Hand Bookbinding. She studied bookbinding and restoration first in Northampton, Massachusetts, then at Cornell University's Department of Library Conservation, and in the Smithsonian Institution's Conservation Laboratories. Mrs. Deiss holds a B.S. in Chemistry and received a Master of Library Science degree from Syracuse University where she specialized in the study of archives and rare book collections.
Jill and her staff offer great classes aimed at the book dealer, collector and anyone else who might be interested in the craft of bookbinding.
Please check out their site at http://www.cattailrun.com/
I hope you get the chance to enjoy the experience as much as I did.
Dan
Miss Lauren

Postby bookbum on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Lauren,

Sometimes I think there should be a Cattail Run alumni association! They are great over there and Jill still welcomes email questions from me about how to do something. She gives out great handouts explaining exactly how to do things but, being a guy, I guess I forget to read the instructions sometimes.

I've finished all the classes she gives and am waiting from more. I've also done the marbling an suminagashi classes. Actually, I've take the marbling 4 times just so I can go over there, see the gang and build up the marbled endpapers I use.

Dan.
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Postby Miss Lauren on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Dan,
The alumni idea is a great one :) Jill and her crew are great to work with, and yes, her hand-outs are terrific - so many times they've saved my skin! I have yet to take all the classes.... but I certainly hope to accomplish them all. Love spending time down there in the bindery :)

~ Lauren
Miss Lauren

Return to Events and Meetings