ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Paste stains leather

Let out the excess steam here!!!!

Paste stains leather

Postby schuetz1619 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Good day.

I'm a newbie to making leather bindings with paste. The problem I'm having is a staining of the leather, apparently by the absorbed paste.
I'm using veg.-tanned, aniline-dyed Packer Leather bookbinding kangaroo, whisky (tan) color, .6 mm. I'm moistening the hair side with distilled water until the moisture starts to show through on the flesh side, then I paste the flesh side, wait for absorption, repaste, and apply the leather to the boards. I'm using Talas pre-cooked wheat paste and Lineco acid-free boards.

The work dries with dark patches. The overlap of the thinned edge fold-over is particularly dark.

I've tested the leather itself, and it will take a total wetting and drying cycle with no discoloration whatever. Add the paste and the stains appear on drying.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
schuetz1619

Re: Paste stains leather

Postby StefanBinder on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 am

Fellow newbie here aswell. Iv been looking abit into the "how to´s" for binding and i see that it hasnt been updated for a while. Any kind soul willing to help out? I also have a few questions regarding binding with paste but since noone has anwserd here im guessing that perhaps noone is around with this knowlidge? // Regards Stefan
One page at a time.
StefanBinder

Return to Venting