[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Large English Beechwood Lying Press, for sale in DC area.
This is were members other than suppliers offer bookbinding oriented merchandise for sale.

Large English Beechwood Lying Press, for sale in DC area.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 pm

I have a large bookbinding lying press made by Russell's in England that I bought from Don Etherington over 10 years ago. If I recall correctly, he said that he purchased it while he was still an apprentice in the 50's in london, and brought it US when he moved here in the early 70's. He built the wooden stand and I added locking casters to it. The stand and casters have been nice feature as when I'm not using it as a press, it doubles as a work cart.

The press is 32" in length overall, and has a working length of 24 3/4" between the screws. On the stand, it is about 35 1/2 " high. Each jaw measure 2 1/2 " h x 3" w. The length of the screw is 14", and it opens to 7 1/4 " daylight. The stand is 14" wide, and 36" long. One side has a track for a plough, but Don didn't have that.

Unfortunately, I just don't find myself using this much any more, and I no longer have room to keep it in my tiny apartment, so I am reluctantly having to part with this wonderful press. I paid Don $200 for it, and I'd like to ask the same for it now; it's a fair price for such a large press. Russell's now sells both the plough and press together for significantly more. The press and stand is available in the DC area for pick-up only.

Images of the press can be viewed here: