[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Low Cost Lether???<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Suppliers" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=3" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Topic Low Cost Lether???" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=3&t=152" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Low Cost Lether???

This is were suppliers post bookbinding related products, promotional sales etc...

Low Cost Lether???

Postby wtyan on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:24 am

wtyan

Postby denis on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 am

some of the leathers mentioned here can also be purchased here:

denis

BBWS LEATHERS ARE AWSOME!!!

Postby MichaelChrisman on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:21 pm

BOOKBINDERS WORKSHOP, LLC
341-2 Pierpont Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 328-BOOK

Now binding over 100 original Cooper-Square Gutenberg Bibles (1961 true-to-life facsimile) in alum-tawed pigskin over wooden boards. True period-style.
MichaelChrisman

Postby admin on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:45 pm

And now that you have really got me going, here is the leather you advertise on Ebay:

"This listing is for Sokoto GOATSKIN - $14.95/sq.ft.

These are 1st quality skins. Compare elsewhere at $18.00 and up for 2nd quality. "

In fact, Siegel sells it for $13.95 or 10.95 if you buy 3 skins and with free shipping for orders over $75.00

So you see, the "Compare elsewhere at $18.00 and up for 2nd quality" is only a blatant lie, aimed a deceiving.
admin
Site Admin

Leathers

Postby wtyan on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:27 am

Denis,
I am sorry I have angered you. I wish you and the forum only the best. But I must point out that Harmatan Sokoto (2nd quality) is $19.85 per square foot on the website of a popular New York supplier...and that's a good price, for a good product, from a good supplier...no lie - no deception.
All the best,
Tim
wtyan

Postby admin on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:24 am

so you are saying that you are selling Harmatan Sokoto?
admin
Site Admin

Leathers

Postby wtyan on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:49 am

Nope…that’s not what I’m saying at all. Harmatan (Brand) is a quality product using goatskins from the Kano and Sokato regions of Nigeria. Sokoto goatskins have long been a favorite of bookbinders for their exceptionally beauty and natural grains. As I stated in my original post – we offer fully vegetable tanned, archival certified, natural grain Sokoto goatskins. We think these Sokoto leathers are wonderfully strong and beautiful and would invite others to try them…whether they buy them from Bookbinders Workshop, Siegel, Talas or any reputable supplier.
Thanks for your question,
Tim
wtyan

Postby denis on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:27 am

So when I compare Sokoto leathers prices, when the quality is similar, your price is still $4 a foot more than Siegel's, and so here I am educating the public and you have issues with that?
Easy does it.
denis

Leathers

Postby wtyan on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:32 am

Actually...no. Bookbinders Workshop has never published a discount for bulk orders, (probably never will) however we have often reduced the price for customers placing larger orders. Sometimes we even give away full skins to some of our high-frequency customers - especially when we receive a new product that might be helpful to them.

We like to get to know the people that buy from us. Mike (my business partner) and I, have over three decades of combined experience in bookbinding, conservation, and restoration. We use a lot of material. We know what performs well and what doesn't and we freely share that knowledge with our customers - knowledge that is too often "held close to the vest" by many people in the craft. That's why we produced our Bookbinders Workshop Instructional Series DVDs. We have five titles available today and have just finished filming another one that should be available soon. They include instruction for the beginner as well as the most advanced (see BookbindersWorkshop.com for details). Mike is an excellent video instructor too. He (by personal invitation from the Library of Congress) was asked to help restore/conserve some of Thomas Jefferson's personal library. It is this degree of expertise that we are making available to all. In fact, it may be the best discount ever offered in bookbinding. If you were to buy all six of our instructional DVDs - you would spend less money than a one-week workshop at the American Academy of Bookbinding (learning only a technique or two). And speaking of good work, Denis...I love the "Poesies de Violette" (Oasis goatskin with inlays) in your website portfolio - VERY nice!

Anyway...back to your questions/comments. I think our current leather inventory consists of about 13 different types of bookbinding leather in 30-40 colors. Our inventory changes constantly (as do our costs) as we work with tanneries and/or wholesalers in different countries. Currently we sell a single skin of our1st Quality Sokoto for $14.95/ft. plus shipping. Siegel sells a single skin of Sokoto (grade not indicated on their website - although I'm sure it's good stuff) for $13.49/ft. plus shipping. But it t is very interesting to note Siegel's Sokoto listing on their website states:

"Generally sold to bookbinders for in excess of $17.00/ft!"

Our eBay ad has a similar statement which you quickly informed the members of this forum was...(and I quote)
[b]"a blatant lie, aimed at deceiving"[/b] and used Siegel as your example to justify this statement. (see your posting above). I'm not angry...I'm just confused. Are Bookbinders Workshop and Siegel [u]BOTH[/u] liars and deceivers or did I misunderstand something? It's okay - you probably just made a mistake - it happens to all of us.

Denis, I've enjoyed our debate and I've tried to keep the tenor of my comments positive and informative. I'm sure we will not agree all the time but if you or the members of the forum need a skin of Sokoto - go for it! But if you want to also consider other selections from Bookbinders Workshop's leather inventory, instructional DVDs, backing boards, repair papers, historic headband material, book cloth, marbled paper, adhesives, sewing supplies, 100% cotton endpaper, leather conditioner, or other supplies - then call us at (801) 548-1824, Monday - Friday, 9:00-5:00 MT. We'll be glad to help. In fact, if you will send me your address, I will send you a skin of our new "Caprinae" goatskin - it sort of reminds me of "Oasis" (sorry...just kidding - I don't want to be confused with a deceiver).

If you ever find yourself in Utah, stop by our shop. I know you would enjoy seeing the Gutenberg Bible Facsimiles (over 100 of them) we are binding in historically correct 15th Century style with our own alum-tawed pigskin leather over wooden boards. You are always welcomed there - just as (I assume) we are welcomed here at your forum.

Now let's both go out and get some sunshine.
Respectfully,
Tim Yancey
Senior Partner
Bookbinders Workshop, LLC
wtyan

Postby denis on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

I must be thick as I don't see your point, you can put so much perfume on a skunk, it still stinks. I am not against you marketing on the web site, but when I see a product advertised as a great bargain when the same product can be found much cheaper elsewhere, I'll point it out, like it or not. As for your and your partner's bookbinding combined experience, my 45 years in the trade leaves you in the dust. I have done bindings for the Dalai Lama and the Queen of England and so?
Look, I have no doubt that you are professionals, so just act like one, no need to shout how good you are. It's bad manners.
You are guest on the forum, just like the other members, just like me as a member, we are all guests to each other member . As a guest, I want to make this forum pleasant, for everyone to enjoy. As a guest, I follow the rules of the forum, like simply posting in the proper forum, if I am a guest supplier with products to sale, I place my messages in the supplier forum. It's not difficult and it avoids advertising being mistaken for ambiguous so call "informative posts."

Now, this is the last word, I am not gonna start a watersport match with you on this forum, consider this a friendly warning.
denis

Leathers

Postby wtyan on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:20 am

Agreed...good manners it is.
Tim
wtyan

Re: Low Cost Lether???

Postby ScottC on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:46 am

Some may be interested in this Kangaroo leather from Australia...

http://www.packerleather.com/book-binding-leather.html

There are many other sources of it too, which can be easily found with a google search.

PS: I dont make, or sell, Kangaroo leather :-)
ScottC

Return to Suppliers