[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Skive Knife Blades<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Wanted" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=11" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Topic Skive Knife Blades" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=11&t=96" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Skive Knife Blades

Looking for supplies, lessons, etc...? This is the forum for it!

Skive Knife Blades

Postby kitekook on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Dan
Bookbums Bindery
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
kitekook

Postby bobstelmack on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:17 pm

bobstelmack

Re: Skive Knife Blades

Postby aaronsalik on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas
20 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
http://talasonline.com

Your professional resource for the finest bookbinding, archival, and conservation supplies since 1962.
aaronsalik

Postby kitekook on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks to both Bob and Aaron.

The bulk pack of blades at Bob's link should last me a long time to come as I'll use that skiver even after I've saved up enough and buy a Scharfix and knives, which has been my intention. It's just taking me a while to build up my shop with everything I want.

Aaron, are the Peachy knives worth so much more than the other knives that Talas offers? Why?
Dan
Dan
Bookbums Bindery
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
kitekook

Postby benjclark on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm

benjclark

Bookbinding Knives

Postby aaronsalik on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:21 am

Regards,
Aaron Salik

Talas
20 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011
http://talasonline.com

Your professional resource for the finest bookbinding, archival, and conservation supplies since 1962.
aaronsalik

PARING KNIVES::

Postby MichaelChrisman on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:55 am

The finest paring knives I have ever encountered are the ones sold by TREVOR LLOYD at::

These knives are exceptionally well made from high quality "hunting knife steel" (I believe it's D-2 grade), only $55.00, plus post, and they hold an edge unbelievably well. I've had mine for over ten years. This is not to negate others knives, but Trevor's are simply the best! And they have beautiful hardwood handles as well. A student of mine from Toronto struggled much with leather paring until they bought a Trevor Lloyd knife. They come in both right and left-handed.

As for sharpening.... The very best approach I have ever found is when the blade becomes dull enough, strop the edge of the knife on very fine sandpaper, typically 320 grit. Taking great care as to the angle you're holding the blade. Then, next, laying the base of the knife dead-flat on the sandpaper, pull toward you on the sandpaper to remove the burr that has been created on the top edge. Be careful NOT to "round-off" the bottom of the edge! Now strop the knife ten or twelve times (BOTH sides of the knife) on a nice piece of bridle leather and it'll be sharp enough to de-hair with ease. Very many years ago this method was called "scary sharp". But it seems to be little known amongst newer binders on the scene today. Very dull knives will require a coarser grit paper at first, then progressing to the finer, and finally to the leather strop. I use the same strop since 1988 (my second one since I was seventeen years old), and have only "dressed" it twice. Both times with simple pumice powder. There is no need to spend money for "cremes" and such like.

Hope this helps!

Michael
BOOKBINDERS WORKSHOP, LLC
341-2 Pierpont Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 328-BOOK

Now binding over 100 original Cooper-Square Gutenberg Bibles (1961 true-to-life facsimile) in alum-tawed pigskin over wooden boards. True period-style.
MichaelChrisman

Postby bookbum on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:11 am

Thank you, Philip, but I'm not normally in the practice of throwing my knives at my books, although sometime I do feel like doing that when things go wrong.

Actually, I sort of took Arron's advice. I bought a very large set of gouges and other hand tools on ebay (72 in all). Along with that set came 6 different skiving knives (including 2 Peachy). I already had stones from 800 to 6000 grit so I just took the time to learn how to sharpen the knives. Now, it's easy to keep them sharp and there's no leather that stands in my way.

Thanks Arron. I haven't used the "personna" type blades in about 8 month.
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Postby jeffex on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Last edited by jeffex on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffex

Postby bookbum on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Yes, that skiver is still for sale on Talas at the above link
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Postby jeffex on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:13 pm

OK Thanks for reply

Any weapons like knife, swords or expandable baton are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough.
-Blue Jones-

jeffex

Return to Wanted