[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Bible end papers<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Wanted" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=11" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Topic Bible end papers" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=11&t=110" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Bible end papers

Looking for supplies, lessons, etc...? This is the forum for it!

Bible end papers

Postby preacherman on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:25 am

I am a former hand bookbinder looking to come out of a 15+ year break from the craft. The kids are all finally gone and thus it seems like the time to slowly get back into rebinding old Bibles and other books.

Back when I was active in bookbinding I purchased from Holliston a paper that was perfect for Bible end papers. It was the very material, I think, that the big publishers would use -- nice solid black on one side and clean white on the other. Well, I have contacted them only to learn that they now have no such product available. Where is a good source of such papers in todays market??

I may have other questions for later but this is one of the biggest issues on my mind for now.

Alex
preacherman

Bible paper

Postby Lavinia on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:46 am

I get mine from BookMakers. It may be a little heavier than what you used to use -- but maybe not. Good luck.

Lavinia
Lavinia

Re: Bible paper

Postby preacherman on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:02 pm

Lavinia,

Do you have current contact info on BookMakers? I actually have an OLD catalog from them that dates to the 80's. But so far haven't found them online or a phone number or anything else. Assumed they were gone.

Thanks!

Alex
preacherman

BookMakers - Bible paper

Postby Lavinia on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi, Alex. I hope this response finds its way to you. I'm unfamiliar with answering posts on this List and it seems very confusing.
I see that BookMakers has not renewed its website on schedule. (www.bookmakerscatalog.com) I just called their latest phone number and found that their voice mailbox is full. Perhaps they're on vacation. I DO hope they're not closing. Why don't you phone this number in a few days to see if they've reappeared: (301) 345-7979.
They seem to move to a different location around Washington, DC every few years, so it's a little hard to keep track of them sometimes, but it's worth the effort. They carry fine products.

Lavinia
Lavinia

Re: BookMakers - Bible paper

Postby preacherman on Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:22 am

Lavinia,

Thanks for the info for BookMakers. I will try to give them a call to obtain a current catalog and pricelist. The old catalog I have is dated 1986 so I will be anxious to see what they now offer. Anyway, thanks so much for the help!

Alex
preacherman

Postby admin on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:18 am

admin
Site Admin

Postby preacherman on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:09 pm

Lavinia,

Just spoke with them at BookMakers. Website should be back online within a few days. No catalogs since '99. NO Bible endpapers are currently available.

It's obvious to me that the papers I am talking about (solid black on one side and white on the other) are still made by someone since new Bibles come with them. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Alex
preacherman

Postby grave_tidings on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:50 pm

You might try contacting a bible publisher or three and ask where they get the paper. Alternately, you might call a Kelly Paper (www.kellypaper.com) store and ask if they know what it is. They supply printers/publishers, so it's worth a shot.
-----
Kim
in Northern Arizona
grave_tidings

Black Bible End-Papers:

Postby MichaelChrisman on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Greetings:

Bookbinders Workshop has black bible end-papers. They are thin, strong and acid-free. Black on both sides.

$3.50 per sheet.

Another option for making your own end-papers is to air-brush plain acid-free paper of your choice. I have used this technique for various applications for many years and it works exceptionally well. This technique also works well for dying leather, sprinkling leather, etc. Air-brush units can be bought on eBay very reasonably. This is also far more cost effective.

Alternatively, you could call KIRKBRIDE BIBLE COMPANY in Indianapolis, IN. I have dealt with them since the 80's, and they also offer un-bound bibles in sections. They're website is as follows::

http://www.kirkbride.com/

Bookbinders Workshop stocks a vast selection of items. Our website has a mere sampling of some of them.

http://bookbindersworkshop.com

At your service!

The Staff of Bookbinders Workshop, LLC

(801) 328-2665
BOOKBINDERS WORKSHOP, LLC
341-2 Pierpont Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 328-BOOK

Now binding over 100 original Cooper-Square Gutenberg Bibles (1961 true-to-life facsimile) in alum-tawed pigskin over wooden boards. True period-style.
MichaelChrisman

Postby Lavinia on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks for the info, Alex. Sorry they don't currently have the Bible papers. I hope they'll restock.

Lavinia

[quote="preacherman"]

Just spoke with them at BookMakers. Website should be back online within a few days. No catalogs since '99. NO Bible endpapers are currently available.

It's obvious to me that the papers I am talking about (solid black on one side and white on the other) are still made by someone since new Bibles come with them. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Alex
Lavinia Adler
Lavinia

thanks Denis

Postby Lavinia on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks for trying to make this procedure clear to me, Denis. I'm still finding it not intuitively obvious, so I have to work hard and keep my fingers crossed until it becomes second nature, as it is for me with Listservs.

It's worth the effort. : -) Happy New Year.

Lavinia

Dear Lavinia, I am glad your post found its way, I fail to comprehend your confusion, there is a big fat Image button on the top left corner of the message board, as you have figured it out already, all you need is to click on it and you are set to post your answer.
If you want to quote a message in your post, all you do is click on Image at the top right of the message, and the original message will appear in your post highlighted, like your quote above.
Hope this helps.
Denis[/quote][quote][/quote]
Lavinia Adler
Lavinia

Bible End-Papers::

Postby MichaelChrisman on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:50 pm

I just remembered that the nationwide chain "Utrecht" carries the very popular "INGRES" line of paper, at a GREAT price! I have used Ingres many times of the years. It's very nice. So there's no need to wait for anyone to "re-stock" anything. You can order Ingres right now, online, at the following website address::

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_sear ... rds=ingres

Only $29.75 for a carton of 25. 19" X 25" in size. A light-weight, high rag content paper. Gelatin sized. This is a better deal than ANY USA supplier!

Hope this helps!

Michael
Bookbinders Workshop, LLC
BOOKBINDERS WORKSHOP, LLC
341-2 Pierpont Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 328-BOOK

Now binding over 100 original Cooper-Square Gutenberg Bibles (1961 true-to-life facsimile) in alum-tawed pigskin over wooden boards. True period-style.
MichaelChrisman

Re: Bible End-Papers::

Postby preacherman on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Would anyone know anything about Cover Material Sales, Inc.? They show online that they have Bible endsheets. I sent them an email asking about minimum orders and samples but no response so far. Here is the url: .

I don't know anything about the "INGRES" line of paper. Without a sample I'm a bit hesitant to buy.

I do happen to know of a bindery or two who seem to specialize is Bible rebinding and so if nothing else I can probably find a source through one of them.

Alex
preacherman

Re: Bible End-Papers::

Postby preacherman on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:57 am

preacherman

Hmmm, same problem over here

Postby edenworkshops on Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 am

Hmmm, we have the same problem in the UK.

I used to buy my bible paper from T.N.Lawrence in London, it came in 4 or 5 colours with an off white back. At that time the papers went by the name of Butterfly Bloom paper, though it was widely known simply as bible end papers.

These days I help others into the craft and recently I had reason to track down this paper for one of the people I am helping.

T.N. Lawrence remembered the paper but said they no longer stocked it.

Falkiner Fine Paper did not have it.

J. Hewit & Sons, carried a bible paper. It is hand printed by The Curwen Studio, Cambridge, UK. Printed on one side, in a choice of 6 traditional 'Victorian' colours, the paper chosen to print on is Heritage White, 100gsm cost £5.28 per sheet (ouch) plus tax and shipping (more ouch)

Russels carry a paper that is a little heavier than I would like, it is also black all the way through which I do not feel is very authentic, at least in the UK but this paper is well under £1.00 per sheet.

So it would seem the paper I remember may be no more, which is a pity, it certainly was not an acid free paper, but it was cheap as well.

Regards

Richard shivering by the pool in France
edenworkshops

Return to Wanted