ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Classica Music Binding Type? Smyth Sewn + PUR?

This is the Forum for the art of Bookbinding, post your questions and answers about bookbinding here.

Moderator: denis

Classica Music Binding Type? Smyth Sewn + PUR?

Postby jlpoole on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:34 am

Publishers of classical music such as Schirmers, Edition Peters, Henle Verlag and Dover use Smyth sewn signatures with a soft casing, the signatures look like they are affixed to the casing with a flexible glue.

1) Could someone identify what you would call this type of mixed binding, i.e. sewn and glued? sewn-glued and cased?
2) I'd like to reproduce this kind of binding. I will have the Smyth sewn signatures (in most cases 16 pages) that will have 12.5" or 9.5" spines. I'm not familiar with hot glue or polyurethane ("PUR") and wonder what the best method is work to achive a binding, say of a Henle edition is.

I'm just learning about PUR and wonder if it is an adhesive that an individual cold use, or it is so toxic or nasty that it has to be in a commercial setting with appropriate ventilation considerations.

Here is a link to photographs of a Henle edition showing a close-up of the head of the spine where the signatures a seated in glue: http://napadata.net/projects/henle_sample1/

I would appreciate any leads to information that would help me create this type of binding. Thank you.
jlpoole

Return to Bookbinding