ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Removing pages without damaging the book?

This is the Forum for the art of Bookbinding, post your questions and answers about bookbinding here.

Moderator: denis

Removing pages without damaging the book?

Postby phlogiston on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello, I was wondering if the experts on this forum could help me. I have bought a beautiful traditionally bound book at a craft fair that I am going to use as a guestbook for my wedding this summer but it has too many pages for the guests to fill. It would be nice if I could use the extra pages for some photographs of the wedding.
Would it be possible to remove some pages (possibly from the middle of each signiture?) without damaging the binding to allow the book to close after photographs had been glued in? One page is about the same thickness as a photo. Would doing this make the binding too loose that the binding could fall apart?

I really do not want to do anything that could damage the book.
phlogiston

Re: Removing pages without damaging the book?

Postby bookbum on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:24 pm

This is quite possible without compromising the binding, but you don't want to remove the entire page.

What you'll want to do is leave about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the page at the spine. This will actually keep the sewing intact and the pieces of paper at the spine will remain the same number. As long as your photos aren't thicker than the page removed, you'll see no swelling of the book. If the photos are thicker, think about cutting away 2 or 3 pages per photo still leaving that 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the pages in place.
Dan
One of the Bookbums @
Ish Kabibble Books

Never stop learning!
bookbum

Return to Bookbinding