ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Leather hinges and accordion-pleated hinges

This is the Forum for the art of Bookbinding, post your questions and answers about bookbinding here.

Moderator: denis

Leather hinges and accordion-pleated hinges

Postby The_RealScott on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding hinge construction for the attachment of the end papers.

1) How is a hinge constructed so that there is a coloured end paper facing the inside cover, a leather hinge the same as the cover leather, and a doublure of the same paper as the end-paper? I don't need to know about the doublure construction, just the hinge type used in this situation. Something like this I guess, although I can't see the hinge.

http://www.library.unt.edu/rarebooks/ex ... bolle1.jpg

2) When constructing an accordion pleated hinge, as per the instructions in Diehl's manual, what is the advantage to the leather hinge? As far as I can tell, it's only tipped onto the end paper and therefore I'd have thought that it wouldn't really provide any support. Because the leather is stronger than the paper, all the stress would just be transferred to the paper making up the accordion pleat, surely? I know the pleat is supposed to provide a bit of expansion room to prevent tearing, but surely it will either sag or tear eventually. Also, it doesn't appear to be for visual appeal, because the end paper completely covers the leather... unless I'm not constructing it properly? This is what I end up with:

3) What kind of hinge construction would YOU use if you wanted a robust but attractive binding - it's going to be a full-leather hollow back binding. The book will be roughly A5 (portrait) in size, but around 5cm (2") thick.

Thanks!
The_RealScott

Return to Bookbinding