[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3750: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3126)
Bookbinding • View topic - Feedback on First Book -- and Hello<!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - Start //--><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php" /> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - New posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=newposts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All forums" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=forums" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All Topics" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=topics" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - All posts" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=posts" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Attachments" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?mode=attachments" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Forum Bookbinding" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=1" /><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feeds - Topic Feedback on First Book -- and Hello" href="http://www.bookbindingforum.com/forum/rss.php?f=1&t=321" /><!-- MOD : MSSTI RSS Feeds (V1.2.1) - End //-->
 ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

Feedback on First Book -- and Hello

This is the Forum for the art of Bookbinding, post your questions and answers about bookbinding here.

Moderator: denis

Re: Feedback on First Book -- and Hello

Postby ScottC on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Even though it doesn't deal with historically correct bindings, this book does give lots of useful advice on how to bind without purchasing any expensive equipment. I found it quite useful. The most important part of this book is the by-line, which is "Requiring no special tools or equipment"!

Bookbinding for Book Artists
http://www.amazon.com/Bookbinding-Book- ... 0963768255

Cheers,

Scott.
ScottC

Postby bccreativity on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:53 am

For these to be your 1st and 2nd bindings, You learn very fast.
Do you have some training because I know no one that can bind at this level on a 1st or 2nd try.
I have been bookbinding for several years and I am impressed.
Great job. :shock:
bccreativity

Postby Shea_M on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi, bc.

I'm flattered, really. I kid you not, I've received no instruction or training at all. I started from scratch in July and have been at it ever since. There's really no useful resources where I live, and no workshops on traditional binding in town -- a disappointment, but it does put the pressure on to bind, bind, bind, then do it all over again to correct mistakes.

Here's a picture of my latest -- Number 5.

I colored this one by hand (here's the "before" picture, rotated to match):

I blasted through a lot of leather in experimenting with my coloring formulae, but it was well worth it. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to pre-colored leather unless it's for a specific reason. I draw a lot of inspiration from other traditional binders' work, and it just seems to come naturally. I cuss a lot until I get something right, of course.

Thanks again, I do appreciate it, and not sure what else to say... I love this stuff!
Shea_M

Postby melodiebooks on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

That looks really cool. where did you get the supplies for the cover?
These are what I've been working on lately -> melodiebooks.com
melodiebooks

Postby Shea_M on Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi, Melodie.

The coloring agents are primarily things you can get in nature or at a grocery store. The resin from boiled oak bark produces a wonderful brown, and crushed then fermented green walnut husks provide anywhere from brown to black depending on how long you let them go. I've got a jar that I don't intend to strain until a few months from now. I just recently obtained the most amazing color from black plums.

The red in the photo is cochineal with a tiny bit of madder root in it with a non-alkalai-shifting mordant applied to the whole of the cover after the colors have set in.

Thanks for the link -- I enjoyed viewing your work and have always been fascinating by more eclectic binding styles. Good show!
Shea_M

Postby Shea_M on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:22 pm

edit
Last edited by Shea_M on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shea_M

Postby edenworkshops on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:26 am

I like your approach of diving in and having a go, trial and error is a great process, persevere and you get there in the end.

I think your books show great promise, and with the help of those on the forum you will pick up some very good advice. I live in France and we have great swathes of deciduous trees, walnut and oak abound, I also use walnut husks, it makes a very nice brown. Ime impressed that you are using natural dyes to colour your leather, what is the undyed leather? Calf? Sheepskin?

Keep right on making mistakes, as someone said, a good binder knows how to correct his mistakes, and learning how to do that will make you into a better binder.

Good luck.

Richard

edenworkshops

Postby Shea_M on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Richard,

Thanks for your post and the compliments -- it's always encouraging, especially for someone like myself trying to learn as he goes.

This last book really raised my level, I never thought I'd be able to get this far without instruction. What I'm most happy with is getting a nice round for headbanding and pretty good caps:

Uploaded with

I'm using calf so far, but would like to try some other grades for the sake of experimentation. I'd love to get some "cathedral" calf and plan on playing with it soon... see how well it takes dye.

So far I'm having good results with natural fermentation, especially oak bark, walnut and black plums. The plums make an amazing dye -- anywhere from lavender to deep purple.

I"m definitely in this for the long haul and will probably have some questions soon for members of the forum. Everyone here is a great resource. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to teach another member something. :)

Cheers,
H.
Shea_M

Postby windyliang on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Thank you for sharing historical post of info. It's the first time for me to learn bookbinding here.

The covers attract me very must.

Do you update ofter?

Previous

Return to Bookbinding