ATTENTION GUESTS: Please register to view all sections 
newsNews
rssRSS

How to bind various size cards

This is the Forum for the art of Bookbinding, post your questions and answers about bookbinding here.

Moderator: denis

How to bind various size cards

Postby higham on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 pm

As a one-off keepsake project I'd like to bind together all the cards we received last Christmas.
Ideally I would prefer not to mount each card onto paper - as the end result could look too orderly
for my taste. I’d like the end result to look a tad random or freeform - if that’s possible
.....maybe I’m hoping for the completely impractical?

Not sure how to go about this as all the cards are, obviously, different sizes. Has anyone done
anything similar? If so, what did you do? Could guards be the answer? I’ve looked around the net
but nothing quite fits the bill so far. My skill level is ‘newbie’ but am willing to put in the time,
effort & practice to get a halfway decent result!

I’ve requested some books from our local library, but they’ll take a little while to get to me. In
the meantime, rather than lose enthusiasm, I thought I’d ask folks on this forum for their thoughts.

best
Anne H. in Epping, England
higham

Re: How to bind various size cards

Postby edenworkshops on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:08 am

Hello Anne.

If you don't want to mount them, the only alternative that comes to mind is to bind them with stub guards, using an adhesive backed tissue to join the guard to the card to keep the thickness down. Or you could tip the cards onto the guards.

Richard
edenworkshops

Postby higham on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Richard ~ thank you for your suggestions. I was beginning to be concerned that my proposed project would be beyond my capabilities. I'll research stub guards and get my head around the technique. Things are looking up!

Thanks for the time and trouble you've taken with my query
best
Anne H.
higham

Postby edenworkshops on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Binding cards of different sizes will mean you have to cater for the largest card, and the finished binding will contain a lot of "air" but I see no reason why you couldn't bind a decent keepsake using stub guards. Sewing a book with stub guards isn't difficult, you would probably need to use quite a thick card to emulate the thickness of the Christmas cards, or you could halve it and double the thickness of the guards.

There are two ways to approach it, one which features a book comprised of pages facing each guard so that a page would separate each card, and a book off stubs only, then you would glue each card to a stub.
edenworkshops

Postby higham on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 am

Thank you for the encouraging reply.... and the further suggestions. At one time I wondered if I'd be able to make this project happen. I do now!

Many thanks
best
Anne H.
higham

Return to Bookbinding